No, really, that was the name of it. "The Whole Enchilada Fiesta," home of the world's largest enchilada. Jody bought us tickets to this local tradition and I must say it was quite a sight. The streets were lined with local vendors serving up all kinds of greasy food that I would liken to the Tri-State Fair, but with a New Mexico twist. There were giant corn dogs and ribbon fries, but instead of cheese on a stick there were tacos al pastor and giant chile rellenos. I'm pretty sure we spent most of Taylor's budding college fund on greaseball food! Then there was the main event, the world's largest enchilada. We weren't able to get a good viewing spot of the construction, so we checked in from time to time to take pictures. The rest of the time we had to park it in the shade because I didn't have a hat and I had forgotten how intense the sun is once you're up around the mountains. I swear my head was about to catch on fire! Once you got away from the sun it was totally bearable, but in the meantime it was torture! Since I was a total weenie about being hot we left before the tasting of the enchilada (we asked around and no one really felt it was something you HAD to stick around for, the consensus was that it was pretty mediocre in taste.).
Ok, connected to the tow truck is the tortilla press. The shiny tank to the left of the press is the giant vat of oil that they fry the tortilla in after it's pressed. Yes, those are the local firemen present to oversee and be sure this whole thing doesn't turn into a giant nasty grease fire.
In between tortillas the crew sprays the giant press with oil. They make 3 corn tortillas and layer in between them the rest of the ingredients.
Here it is getting a layer of sauce. Mmmmmmm, I can only imagine how bad for you this is!
No comments:
Post a Comment