Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Sleep Wars

Jody and I have been very fortunate in the fact that Taylor has pretty much always been a good sleeper. Once we got over the initial hump of colic and reflux, it's been pretty smooth sailing. So, needless to say, we've gotten just a tad spoiled. For some reason, beginning this past Saturday Taylor has been waking up at 5:00 am and adamantly refuses to go back to bed. The first time, I totally gave up after an hour and just let her stay up and call it morning. At about 7:00 we both totally crashed in the floor while watching a video. Sunday was fine, but Monday was once again haunted by the 5:00 am witching hour. After 20 minutes of rocking, she finally went back to sleep, but as soon as I decided to attempt laying her in her crib, she began the spider monkey crawl clamoring frantically to me and crying so pitifully it absolutely broke my heart. So, I did what any exhausted parent does when they finally decide to wave the white flag of truce - I stuck her in bed with us in hopes that we could all catch a few more z's.

Normally Taylor does not like sleeping in our bed. She sees it as party time and a golden opportunity to chase after Alice since she's groggy too. But Monday morning she zonked right out. It was awesome! However, the last two mornings have not gone so smoothly. I once again resorted to the last ditch effort of sticking her in bed with us, and this time she acted a little more in line with her usual character. I'm honestly surprised I don't have a black eye from the head butt she gave me during one of her flying burrito tackles. So if anyone has any suggestions on how in the heck to break this 5:00 wake up habit please let us know! If not, just send coffee.



*Update - After posting our woes on Facebook, many friends suggested moving back her bedtime to 9:00. As much as I hate having her up an hour longer (that was my me time, dammit!), it's sooooo much better than having her up two hours earlier!

No comments:

Post a Comment