Monday, August 10, 2009

Finally! A Solution!

They always say it has to get worse before it gets better. Well, this Saturday I think we hit the peak of worse. Taylor was keeping nothing down, and cried all day long. Poor thing refused to take any of her naps and was chewing her hands frantically and crying as soon as she spit up. So, we would feed again, she would spit up and the cycle started all over again. In the middle of all of this I did manage to leave the house briefly (God bless Jody for taking on the challenge by himself for a little while) to get a couple of items at the store. On a whim while I was there I went to check out the formula to see if maybe anything over there might offer some help. I found that they make a formula that's thickened for babies that spit up frequently. I figured it's worth a shot and bought a small can. For the first time in weeks Taylor actually held all of it down and went to sleep! Since the switchover she has been a completely different kid. Wakes up and fusses just a little (not the frantic screaming of before), and only spits up a very small amount when she eats. We are still going to schedule her upper GI just to be on the safe side, but I'm pretty sure we've found our solution. As a result of our switch, I have stopped breast feeding, there's no sense in me continuing to pump when she can't eat the stuff. I am a little disappointed that I wasn't able to nurse her for as long as I had originally intended, but she did get 5 good weeks of nursing in, so I figure that's better than none at all. Plus, a content and healthy baby is more than a fair trade!

No comments:

Post a Comment