Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Welcome Back

Today marked the return of Taylor to daycare after her nearly one year hiatus. We've been fortunate in that Jody was able to stay at home with her while he was going to school, but since he starts back to work on Monday, we decided to go ahead and get her started back a few days early just in case he needed to go and pick her up if it didn't go well.

Honestly, I anticipated a knock-down drag-out battle at the drop off. Every day when I leave for work Jody practically has to pry her off of me in order for me to get out the door on time. Plus to boot, someone woke up in an absolutely fabulous mood today (insert sarcastic tone here) and cried the entire time I was getting her ready to go. She didn't start to perk up until she realized that unlike every other day, today she got to leave with me. This was all well and good, and she seemed excited once we walked into the daycare. I'm pretty sure she just thought that the both of us were going to play with the other kids for a while, and then go home.

One of the perks to daycare is that they provide breakfast and lunch (provided you get there before 8:00, which works out perfectly with our schedule). So I sat her down at the little table and they promptly brought her a "muffin" and a cup of milk. Now, I'm using quotes around muffin, because that's what the menu claimed was for breakfast today. However, the tiny excuse for a muffin that they brought to her could really only be described as a donut hole at best. Taylor literally shoved the entire thing in her mouth at once and then looked up at the lady serving as if to say, "Ok, now what?" And before anyone panics that she may starve to death, fear not, they brought her another "muffin" as soon as she inhaled the first one. As she was chewing rather contentedly I went ahead and said my goodbyes and headed for the door. She pretty much just watched me walk out with no real reaction whatsoever.

Now, mind you, the very first time I ever dropped Taylor off at daycare when she was only six weeks old was easy-peasy. I walked in, gave my instructions for the day, kissed her and was pretty much shoved out the door by the lady working her room. Then I calmly walked out, went to work, and made it through my day without much worry. Yeah, today, not so much. I'm totally going to pin the blame on pregnancy hormones, but I bawled like a freakin' baby. Fortunately I made it out to the car before I had my meltdown, but either way, I was still inexplicably emotional over the whole thing. When several of my co-workers asked about the drop-off after I got to work, I started tearing up again and finally had to just tell them to ask me after lunch when I had a better handle on the situation.

I did call and check in at lunch, and Jody picked her up around 3:00ish. According to her teacher, she did very well. They said she "didn't cry very much," but that she didn't really nap much either. I'm not terribly surprised, I'm figuring that it's going to take a while for her to get used to sleeping in an open room amongst 7 other kids. But I'm just thankful we both made it through the day relatively unscathed, I'm just afraid that tomorrow may be worse. The director mentioned that most kids do worse on the second day because they know what's coming (aka - mom's leaving for the whole day).



On our way out. I didn't really want to be in the picture, but someone kept falling down into a crying heap every time I tried to make her stand by herself for a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment