At Taylor and Ava's daycare they host an annual "Angel Breakfast," kind of an opportunity to showcase the older kiddos and the stuff they learn. Plus, we use a Lutheran church daycare, so they also go through the birth of Jesus, etc. Either way, Taylor has been singing "Jingle Bells," and "Do You Hear What I Hear," nonstop for about three weeks now in preparation. So, Jody and I decided to drag ourselves out of bed early today and go to daycare on a Saturday so that Taylor could have her moment in the sun and so that we could document it.
I should have known we would run into trouble early this morning. Taylor's morning greeting was, "Good morning Mama! There's no school today!" To which I had to reply, "No, but we're going up to the school so we can watch you sing songs." Enter instant meltdown. For the life of me, I could not coax her into believing this whole thing was even remotely a good idea. Right before we took off she finally told me, in tears, "Mama, I don't wanna sing all by myself." Oh. Somehow it got lost in translation that she would be up there with her homies, and she thought she would be expected to sing in front of the crowd all by herself. I totally get that terror. Or, well, I used to. Now, give me a microphone on karaoke night, and the world better watch out.
Anyhoo, we got up to daycare, and after a lot of bribery, and some baby-snatching courtesy of Taylor's favorite teacher, we managed to at least get her in the vicinity of the other kids.
Ta-da! This is the only pic I got before she saw me, broke down, and ran for my lap. After that, no amount of bribery would get her back up there.
But I guess the important thing is that we went, and we tried. And I didn't force Taylor to get back up there, no matter how badly it pained me to not see her really sing all these songs I just get snippets of at bathtime.
And on the ride home, they were both in an entertaining mood.
Amazing how being out of the spotlight brings the ham back out.
Ham-Beast!




No comments:
Post a Comment