Sunday, July 10, 2011

Introducing Ava Marie Robinson!

Well, you know what they say about the best laid plans...... As I predicted, now that we were in striking distance of the scheduled induction date (And now that everyone had gotten time off coordinated just right, coupled with the fact that Jody and I were both in need of a shower that we were putting off until Friday morning.), I actually went into labor on my own. Friday night after spending an evening catching up with my friend Michelle, my water broke about 15 minutes after I laid down to go to sleep. So, Jody and I frantically scrambled to finish packing my bag (For the last 2 weeks or so its been partially packed, laziness and procrastination kept telling me I had until the 12th anyway.), find someone to keep Taylor, and get out the door and to the hospital.

We made it there all in one piece, and with minimal discomfort. As luck would have it, the contractions didn't start until we got to the hospital parking lot, but that first contraction also managed to squeeze out a nice big gush of fluid that had still been hanging around. So, guess who got to walk through the crowded ER with not only greasy hair, but wet jeans?

Once we got settled in and I got my epidural (I'm a big fat baby, and kudos to anyone that can withstand labor without pharmaceutical intervention.) it was just a waiting game. We arrived at the hospital around 1:30 a.m. and within the hour our entourage was also in the house. As a way to kill time, we started taking bets on the actual arrival time of Ava.

*My guess was 8:30, Dan had 9:00, and Mom agreed with my dad on 6:55. We just ran out of room to post them all.


After some mishaps with my blood pressure that may or may not have involved me barfing up my cherry popsicle, and a lot of ice chips, we were just in the waiting game. When my doctor came by to check me at 7:00, she was pretty confident that I could make my goal of an 8:30 delivery. Lo and behold when she came back an hour later to re-check, it was go time. You may remember that I managed to squeeze Taylor out in 30 minutes, and this time I outdid myself and managed to get Ava out in 15!

Ta-da! Here she is, 8 lbs. 12 1/2 oz.

Pay no attention to my orange mouth. I may or may not have been nomming on a popsicle right before we realized it was go time.

Jody finding out just how big Ava is.

All in all everything went great, and we were pleasantly surprised that she came a few days earlier than we'd planned. After many hours of being held hostage by the powers that be at the hospital, we were finally discharged Saturday afternoon and are trying to settle into a routine.

Mini-Jody. Note the arm fuzz and rolls. All she needs is a tattoo that says "MOM"


All three of us after a little bit of sleep and some soap and water.

No comments:

Post a Comment